Friday, June 11, 2010

At The Employment Office

"I'm considering a career in Information Hoarding," I said, trying to sound optimistic. "I can tell you all about myself - salary requirements, education, preferred work environment, the whole nine yards. Here's my resume!"

The man behind the desk sat impassively. His hands were nowhere to be seen, probably on his knees. He didn't touch my resume. "You've come to right place. I know all about that field. Or rather, I know about all of them - really it's a melange of sub-fields." He smiled contentedly.

I paused, waiting for him to continue. I gave up. "I'm very excited about it, but I can't seem to find much about it on the web, and none of my contacts know much. Is there a typical way someone gets into this field?"

"Oh, no standard way to get into it. Depends on the sub-field, really. Which sub-field are you most interested in?"

"Well," I replied sheepishly. "I honestly don't know anything about the sub-fields. I need more information on them. Actually, I need any information on them!"

"Oh, there's a wealth of information on them," he said encouragingly. "Absolutely. Just gotta know where to find it."

I was heartened. "Can you help me find it?"

"Sure," he said, and smiled again.

This time I promised myself I wouldn't speak until he did, and that I could bear any length of silence. I broke after what seemed like five minutes, but was probably not one. "Sometimes I feel like I allow discussions to founder because I focus on conveying an overall impression and a set of goals, while my listener is fixated on a few missing keywords."

He nodded knowingly. "Yes, that's very possible."

"What should I do now?" I asked, wondering if he heard it all as an undifferentiated hiss.

"Whatever you want to!" he declared in the same encouraging force.

I thanked him and bade him farewell. He beamed and gave me a friendly wave as I left his office.

No comments:

Post a Comment